PET SHOP BOYS SONG-BY-SONG COMMENTARY - THIS WEEK'S PSB SURVEY -> SUPER one year on - the mix is the marStart A New Topic | Reply
Post InfoTOPIC: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar
Posted By: Andy B

Posted On: 13 days ago
Views: 339
SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

One year on, I still love multiple songs on SUPER. And I even still listen to SUPER from start to end quite frequently. The last time I experienced that with a PSB album was with YES. I still agree on it being among their greatest (I think it was Des´ expression that it belongs right on the top shelf with PLEASE, ACTUALLY and INTROSPECTIVE - I agree).
However, if we are to discuss which albums make up the best: what I criticize with SUPER is the that it was obviously finalized a bit rashly. Suitable productions, great arrangements, but why is the sound behind the pristine clarity of past times? Chiefly, because it wasn´t taken care of by a meticulous mixer. Stuart Price is obviously unrivalled at putting together a fresh and suiting production to a PSB song till the noon tv show commences. Yet, from my point of view, he noticeably falls short of being an equal mixer to the ingenious producer he is.

Posted By: James

Posted On: 13 days ago
Views: 325
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

Yes, Super is still great, with many 'unskippable' tracks whenever they appear in my playlist. About the mixing, I'd definitely agree when it comes to the vocals--they don't sound quite clear and punchy enough in today's environment. Neil has proven he can do it on earlier releases, so it's not his problem but the mixer's.

It would be interesting to know what software/equipment they are using these days... ProTools?

Posted By: Mika H

Posted On: 13 days ago
Views: 273
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

Speaking of "Super", the news that the remix of Burn on the Undertow single is akin to the Liberation remixes from the 1990s is horrible news... really hoping the other versions on that album are worth the price.

Posted By: Mark B

Posted On: 13 days ago
Views: 248
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

Anyone got any audio of this apparently notorious remix? would be interesting to hear it as I don't have the limited edition book thing.

Posted By: Axis 3:56

Posted On: 13 days ago
Views: 245
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

Yes, I am so glad Super is doing well commercially too, looking at the figures. It's more 'pop' than Electric and pushes less boundaries but an excellent album. Very pleased x

Posted By: Gilles

Posted On: 12 days ago
Views: 175
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

Love Super too and surprisingly more than Electric which at first was the reverse. I think it is easier to write pop/electronic catchy tunes that dark techno songs. Knowing the PSB ability to surprise us, I still think that their next album will be as great as the two previous ones.
Burn remix falls short of my expectations. Undertow & LTMOD are however good.

Posted By: oyst

Posted On: 11 days ago
Views: 135
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

In response to Mark B's request:

Posted By: Mika H

Posted On: 11 days ago
Views: 110
RE: SUPER one year on - the mix is the mar

Thanks so much, oyst!

At first, I wasn't too keen on the new version of Left To My Own Devices either (of course, it was already miles ahead of the Burn Baba catastrophe from the beginning), but it has really grown on me after... rather plentiful of listens.

Now I don't regret getting that 12" single :]