|Total Comments 125 | Start A New Comment|
|Posted By: Tim|
Posted On: Mar 30, 2005
|Germany, kicks ass!|
Everyone here is failing to realize that eventually the nazis will conquer all of europe so 1901 means crap! Hitler takes europe later, the crazy Turks lose their empire, and Russia becomes a bunch of crazy comie bastards. This all means NOTHING in the long run. Seit Hiel. Deutstchland ist die uber land in das welt. Oh and by the way, Austria Hungary and Jews would no longer exist in the world we know and hate today.
|Posted By: john (czar)|
Posted On: Mar 28, 2005
|austria fun but deadly|
Austria is the country that is doomed because Turkey and Russia have only one way to go and that is right at Austria.An alliance with both win never happen and Italy is a threat at all times.I love Russia with a Turkish ally a north south alliance that sweeps west.
|Posted By: Joe|
Posted On: Feb 27, 2005
|Some explications as to why i beat my friends|
People can putty in your hands so long as you know how to talk to them. Gosh it just makes me giddy thinking about all the ways I know how to get out of them what i want in Diplomacy. Some useful tips:
1. When you make an alliance, it is often good to tell the player you have allied against that your ally will be attacking them. Just don't tell them that you are allied. That way you'll get the better dividends when you and your ally have conquired them, as the opponent will have spent his troops defending from your ally's front.
2. People want you to promise them things. They want reassurance. It's remarkable how little you can actually promise, yet they will think you've given a lot. Just choose your words well.
3. If you have one big ally and the two of you are doing well together, keep talking to them even when its getting to the point when you will have to square off. Most people don't like to break alliances, and if you assure them everything is fine, they will keep trusting you. Keep proposing new strategies. Things stay on your terms then.
4. Offer losing players your 'protection'. Usually you don't have to do anything much, and in turn they will give you information because people often have loose lips around losing players.
5. Though geography obviously factors in, if you can, choose an ally who tends to annoy the other players with his style. He'll be the front man for your conquests and draw all the heat.
6. Make promises that require the other player to do something first, i.e. first make Turkey move his fleet out into the Aegean for your joint siezure of the balkans, then easily backstab with your Russian dreadnought while he's mucking around Greece.
7. Make your betrayals small and frequent, rather than rare and spectacular. The best thing in Diplomacy in my opinion is to recieve as little attention during board play and as much as possible during diplomacy periods.
8. Lastly, as i reached this page through my vote as to the worst country, i will declare it to be england england england. the supply centers just don't come in fast enough, and nobody profits from allying with you as much as they do from handily smushing you.
|Posted By: NICK WHITE|
Posted On: Feb 25, 2005
|Aldolf Von Wilhelm|
Being a central power is difficult, yes. All you have to do is have a non-agression pact with Austria (key to success). By doing this you only have to deal with 180, not 360, degrees of fire.
From here you have many options...
Kill Russia, go with France to kill England, go with England to kill France.
Also, if you find yourself on the French/German coast against England, dont worry. Just 2x support your men and D-day will never happen (I've been there before).
|Posted By: Turkish survivor|
Posted On: Feb 20, 2005
Get along with Russia or die, attack Austria or get stuck. Don´t discuss with Italy (a potential Austrian ally) or you are out of the seas, and if Germany makes side with Austria your T-R is stopped.
But in the end, even if everything goes perfect, you are not gonna win: -Russia will get the 18 centers before you; you will not die neither win.
-or Russia will backstab you in the Balcans and you are out of the game; probabily no one in the West would come in your aid to face a strong Russia.
|Posted By: patrick, 14|
Posted On: Feb 18, 2005
Why do people say Austria? its easily Italy. You only have one safe build, and if you dont attack a country, you will get squashed. it also takes a while to move out of your homeland with armies, and if people move into Piedmont, Tyrolia, and Trieste, you are trapped.
|Posted By: Henry|
Posted On: Feb 11, 2005
|France and the West Coast|
It seems easy to make trough the game with France. But I think is really hard since you have to defend Spain&Portugal from England and Italy. Your only way out is to form an alliance with England&Germany to share the coast, and in the end you ´ll have to backstab one of them: either invade England or make a "sandwich" to Germany. And while this you need to make sure Italy keeps calm and that will cost you some "diplomatic favors".
|Posted By: Aaron T.|
Posted On: Feb 6, 2005
|france and england|
I like France, ecspecially when teamed with England, Germany of course helps but you basically control the waters on one side and can dominate over italy and germany
|Posted By: Duke|
Posted On: Feb 4, 2005
Why do most people not want to play Austria. Everytime I get the good fortune to randomly draw it I'm secretly ecstatic. As long as you can negotiate well and get a good feel for when you've used someone up, it's an easy one to use, I think.
|Posted By: Alex Finn|
Posted On: Dec 18, 2004
|Italy, what is the point?|
Many people say that italy is a good country to play as and they are entitled to have their opinions, if they think it is good because it is easy to defend that is their decision, but I think that many others, as well as me think that by the time you escape from within Italy's borders the game has already been won by a person with a good aliance.
|Posted By: Jon Widnall|
Posted On: Dec 10, 2004
Italy gets a lot of bad press. Personally, I think a lot of it is unjustified.
It isn't disputed that Italy has excellent potential for survival well into the middle game thanks to restricted land access and the fact that its main naval threats (France and Turkey) usually have more immediate concerns for the first few years.
So, even if Italy is pinned on four centres, what is to stop it acting as what early 20th century Italian strategists called a 'makeweight'? Offers are bound to come from either the East or West, where Italian intervention could prove decisive in protracted conflicts. Skilful use of this fact can make even a supposedly "bogged down" Italy great.
|Posted By: Spadge|
Posted On: Dec 3, 2004
|As good as anyone else|
Italy offers a rather different challenge to other countries. Part of the negative aspect is the difficulty in growing quickly and she simply does not have the potency or geographical position to force the issue herself- Italy needs allies. If Italy is picked on early there is really not much that can be done as most proactive Italian openings leave her home centres open for a stab or to get pinned down.
So long as Italy survives to the middle game with a decent bit of Diplomacy and luck- if Turkey is weakened then the options really start to open up.
I just won my first game - as Italy - in 1907, helped by very poor German Diplomacy and an I/R/F peace agreement that I could hastily break come 1905 as a devastating stab to Austria and a Russia and France commited north meant that there was nothing really stopping the win.
All in all yes, I would agree at the start Italy is poor, but later on it is just as good as any country.
|Posted By: Really Awesome|
Posted On: Nov 30, 2004
I think Italy is the best country. Everyone is at my mercy.
|Posted By: John|
Posted On: Oct 1, 2004
Although I also enjoy the excitement and necessary diplomacy of a center country, Italy just doesn't have that.
Italy doesn't have much opportunity for growth west because of Switzerland and lack of support from a hesitant Germany.
Italy is boring, because most attacks are made on Austria.
|Posted By: Harold Prang|
Posted On: Sep 24, 2004
|Longest lasting Triple|
The best triple in my they are far enough away from each other so that a stab doesn't happen til later in the game , but they are close enough to help each other. Russia can go after Turkey. All of them can go against Austria and Germany and Russia can cruise in Scandinavia while Italy clogs up Gibraltar and eventually get to maybe the North Sea.
It is a great Triple and I recommend you try it. IT involves though everyone being completely aggressive and npt scared of the others.
|Pages [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Next Page ->|